Why Create?
That is a very interesting question.
Before I get into my thoughts about creating and how ASUS is breathing fresh air into the otherwise stale laptop market in India, I just want to talk about my journey through this process. The process of writing about "why create".
The whole process of writing this article has been a journey of learning new things about myself. I'm glad that I took up the challenge of trying to collect my thoughts and bring them into a form which means something important to me.
I'm an ever-cliched engineering student studying in one of the famous colleges in the city. Tech-head, curious-owl, an overthinking music-head are couple other terms with which I would describe myself.
The world is big, yet a small place filled with lots of questions.When asked about how to be successful in life, I have often heard the phrase "fall in love with the process" by people like Gary Vaynerchuk, Casey Neistat and a lot of famed authors who've played a role of instilling in me, the fire of loving what you do.
I don't feel any remorse when I state "I absolutely don't love the process of becoming an engineer in India". Yes!, this is not new, it has been known for a while now, the reality of the process for the majority of youngsters. Over and over again it has been made clear that this process is more comparable to an assembly line run by robot overlords.
The creative thought process and curiosity are diminishing as time passes by. There has been a lack of inspiration and motivation to create.
Being an engineering student, this environment makes me feel that curiosity and creativity have been made to take the back seat. The last seat on a very long train of life, on the verge of being thrown out.
Einstien once said "I am surprised that curiosity survives a formal education"
That's where creating comes in, creating when looked from afar produces waves of positivity, motivation, and Inspiration.
I was inspired to run my first 250km because someone was creating (Casey Niestat in this case) because someone was inspiring and creative enough with what they put out for the world to watch.
The act of creating fascinates me, it's not about creating something out of thin air, but creating something new, something unique by putting together things which already exist.Putting it together with all the resources you have, the skills you've honed and with your own flavour of creativity.
Even though the question "Why would I want to create?" seems like it doesn't need an explicit answer, knowing the reasons behind it are equally intriguing.
When an idea pops into your head, you have two options. Either act on it or pass it on and forget about it. Elizabeth Gilbert(the author of Big Magic) says "Ideas are disembodied life forms". She says ideas wait for the person to act on it and if they don't, they just approach another person who may or may not act on it.
The deciding factors which ultimately pushes a person to accept the idea or reject it can be vast and different for everyone.
The deciding factor for me is curiosity.
When the curiosity is ahead of all of the opposing factors, the idea wins.
When curiosity takes the stage, the idea is ready to take shape.
When an idea takes shape, the fellow human also alters his/her own shape in the process.They figure out something new about themselves which changes them in a good way.
Even though I realized my affinity towards curiosity fairly recently(2-3years), it has changed my thought process and my mentality significantly.
Creating for me is a way to let your ideas take shape, a way of expressing yourself to yourself and others around you. Creating makes one think outside the box, makes you take up the problems head-on and inspires you to solve them which results in true happiness.
Mark Manson quotes in his book "the problems which you are willing to solve give you real happiness" and I couldn't agree more.
The by-product of the process, the process of solving the problems should be happiness. Real Happiness.
These are the kind of problems which are to be solved in the act of creating. They give you real happiness.
The act of creating is also the act of learning by doing which I feel is a very effective way of learning.
The act of creating also helps one become aware of themselves, you start to understand yourself better. When one understands themselves better and accept who they are, their mentality improves drastically and they are able to make better choices for themselves.
Creating gives one the freedom of expression, you are no more confined to the box which you have grown to be comfortable with. It gives you a way out of the box.
One's creative endeavours are dependent on the person, their skills and their tools.
A better tool helps through the creative process in a more efficient manner.
My creative endeavours mainly include photography, video editing, compositing, DIY projects, stop-animation movies and programming.
One common tool for all of the above is a good computer.
That's where the ASUS's Vivobook S15 comes in, the change which will highly improve my workflow.
As I said earlier, the S15 breathes in fresh air to an otherwise stale laptop market in India.
India always two to three months behind the latest laptop releases and most of the times many good laptops don't make it to India at all. In this case, ASUS has brought the latest Coffee lake based laptop at a very good price to the Indian Market. It is one of the first eighth-gen laptops which ticks all the boxes and has the potential for mass adoption.
It checks almost all the right boxes, crafted with a beautiful Industrial Design.
The first and the most important highlight is the SSD and performance of the laptop, not many realise the importance of an SSD.
A traditional laptop which uses a hard disk as the boot drive is bottlenecked by the hard drive itself.
Laptop hard drives traditionally spin at 5400rpm which gives them very poor random read performance.
ASUS is offering an SSD boot drive at a price where none other laptops existed with an SSD and THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING. SSD's are very underrated and non-existent in the mid-range laptop market in India. I hope ASUS makes it a mainstream feature and inspires other OEMs.
The SSD coupled with an 8th Gen quad-core processor and up to 16gb of RAM, the experience should be a breeze for all the tasks including video editing.
CUDA accelerated tasks like video editing on Davinci Resolve get a big boost from the included MX150 GPU. It also allows casual gaming.
Full HD 1080p display, I/O are my second highlight of the laptop. A full HD display was scarce in the Indian market unless the price was more than Rs 60,000/-. But ASUS changed the scene, even many of ASUS's budget offerings come with full HD display's such as the x541 series.
A high resolution and good quality display panel goes a long way in image processing and video editing. The high resolution also promises higher screen real estate for the programs.
The I/O includes almost every port I could need in a laptop, the fingerprint reader with 'Windows Hello' is a cherry on top. It also has a built-in SD card reader for easy offloading of footage and images.
Third and the final highlight for me is the overall build, the sleek build and a Nano-Edge display. I expect the “Golden Ear Team” to have done a good job with the speakers too.
The chassis brings in all the features together to give a cohesive and elegant look to the laptop.
All in all, this laptop makes for an excellent tool for a creator like me. It is capable of supplementing the creator without slowing them down.
It also takes care of the entertainment and productivity aspects.
It's the best in its class and everything I could ask for.
My YouTube Channel: youtube.com/curiousowl
![]() |
| Creativity can be very positive |
That is a very interesting question.
Before I get into my thoughts about creating and how ASUS is breathing fresh air into the otherwise stale laptop market in India, I just want to talk about my journey through this process. The process of writing about "why create".
The whole process of writing this article has been a journey of learning new things about myself. I'm glad that I took up the challenge of trying to collect my thoughts and bring them into a form which means something important to me.
I'm an ever-cliched engineering student studying in one of the famous colleges in the city. Tech-head, curious-owl, an overthinking music-head are couple other terms with which I would describe myself.
The world is big, yet a small place filled with lots of questions.When asked about how to be successful in life, I have often heard the phrase "fall in love with the process" by people like Gary Vaynerchuk, Casey Neistat and a lot of famed authors who've played a role of instilling in me, the fire of loving what you do.
I don't feel any remorse when I state "I absolutely don't love the process of becoming an engineer in India". Yes!, this is not new, it has been known for a while now, the reality of the process for the majority of youngsters. Over and over again it has been made clear that this process is more comparable to an assembly line run by robot overlords.
The creative thought process and curiosity are diminishing as time passes by. There has been a lack of inspiration and motivation to create.
Being an engineering student, this environment makes me feel that curiosity and creativity have been made to take the back seat. The last seat on a very long train of life, on the verge of being thrown out.
Einstien once said "I am surprised that curiosity survives a formal education"
That's where creating comes in, creating when looked from afar produces waves of positivity, motivation, and Inspiration.
![]() |
| Creativity sees no bounds |
I was inspired to run my first 250km because someone was creating (Casey Niestat in this case) because someone was inspiring and creative enough with what they put out for the world to watch.
The act of creating fascinates me, it's not about creating something out of thin air, but creating something new, something unique by putting together things which already exist.Putting it together with all the resources you have, the skills you've honed and with your own flavour of creativity.
Even though the question "Why would I want to create?" seems like it doesn't need an explicit answer, knowing the reasons behind it are equally intriguing.
When an idea pops into your head, you have two options. Either act on it or pass it on and forget about it. Elizabeth Gilbert(the author of Big Magic) says "Ideas are disembodied life forms". She says ideas wait for the person to act on it and if they don't, they just approach another person who may or may not act on it.
The deciding factors which ultimately pushes a person to accept the idea or reject it can be vast and different for everyone.
![]() |
| Curiosity is the Key |
When the curiosity is ahead of all of the opposing factors, the idea wins.
When curiosity takes the stage, the idea is ready to take shape.
When an idea takes shape, the fellow human also alters his/her own shape in the process.They figure out something new about themselves which changes them in a good way.
Even though I realized my affinity towards curiosity fairly recently(2-3years), it has changed my thought process and my mentality significantly.
Creating for me is a way to let your ideas take shape, a way of expressing yourself to yourself and others around you. Creating makes one think outside the box, makes you take up the problems head-on and inspires you to solve them which results in true happiness.
Mark Manson quotes in his book "the problems which you are willing to solve give you real happiness" and I couldn't agree more.
The by-product of the process, the process of solving the problems should be happiness. Real Happiness.
These are the kind of problems which are to be solved in the act of creating. They give you real happiness.
The act of creating is also the act of learning by doing which I feel is a very effective way of learning.
The act of creating also helps one become aware of themselves, you start to understand yourself better. When one understands themselves better and accept who they are, their mentality improves drastically and they are able to make better choices for themselves.
Creating gives one the freedom of expression, you are no more confined to the box which you have grown to be comfortable with. It gives you a way out of the box.
One's creative endeavours are dependent on the person, their skills and their tools.
A better tool helps through the creative process in a more efficient manner.
My creative endeavours mainly include photography, video editing, compositing, DIY projects, stop-animation movies and programming.
One common tool for all of the above is a good computer.
That's where the ASUS's Vivobook S15 comes in, the change which will highly improve my workflow.
As I said earlier, the S15 breathes in fresh air to an otherwise stale laptop market in India.
India always two to three months behind the latest laptop releases and most of the times many good laptops don't make it to India at all. In this case, ASUS has brought the latest Coffee lake based laptop at a very good price to the Indian Market. It is one of the first eighth-gen laptops which ticks all the boxes and has the potential for mass adoption.
It checks almost all the right boxes, crafted with a beautiful Industrial Design.
The first and the most important highlight is the SSD and performance of the laptop, not many realise the importance of an SSD.
A traditional laptop which uses a hard disk as the boot drive is bottlenecked by the hard drive itself.
Laptop hard drives traditionally spin at 5400rpm which gives them very poor random read performance.
ASUS is offering an SSD boot drive at a price where none other laptops existed with an SSD and THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING. SSD's are very underrated and non-existent in the mid-range laptop market in India. I hope ASUS makes it a mainstream feature and inspires other OEMs.
![]() |
| Spinning Hard Disks are the bottlenecks |
![]() |
| Delidded Pentium 4 |
The SSD coupled with an 8th Gen quad-core processor and up to 16gb of RAM, the experience should be a breeze for all the tasks including video editing.
CUDA accelerated tasks like video editing on Davinci Resolve get a big boost from the included MX150 GPU. It also allows casual gaming.
Full HD 1080p display, I/O are my second highlight of the laptop. A full HD display was scarce in the Indian market unless the price was more than Rs 60,000/-. But ASUS changed the scene, even many of ASUS's budget offerings come with full HD display's such as the x541 series.
A high resolution and good quality display panel goes a long way in image processing and video editing. The high resolution also promises higher screen real estate for the programs.
Third and the final highlight for me is the overall build, the sleek build and a Nano-Edge display. I expect the “Golden Ear Team” to have done a good job with the speakers too.
The chassis brings in all the features together to give a cohesive and elegant look to the laptop.
All in all, this laptop makes for an excellent tool for a creator like me. It is capable of supplementing the creator without slowing them down.
It also takes care of the entertainment and productivity aspects.
It's the best in its class and everything I could ask for.
My YouTube Channel: youtube.com/curiousowl








Comments
Post a Comment